Friday, April 23, 2010

Spencers and Gostwicks... expanding the family tree

I recently posted a fan image of my family tree extended out 4 generations. I said in that post that one of our lines is Spencer, but that it was a different English line than Princess Diana. I thought I might post a bit more about this line today.


(photo courtesy of my family)


Virginia Spencer was my great-great-great-great grandmother. The Spencer's, and marriages within that line, are some of my favorite parts of our family tree. There is so much history tied up with them :-)


For instance, Moses Spencer, who was Virginia's great grandfather, was a soldier in the Virginia Continental Line during the Revolutionary War. He received 100 acres for his service to his country.


Farther into the line we find Col. Nicholas Spencer, who was married to Frances Mottram. Nicholas served as President of the Council of the Virginia Colony. His cousin was Thomas Colepeper/Culpeper. Nicholas played a major role in securing the land grant for what would become Mount Vernon. I have an opportunity next Saturday morning to perhaps see Mount Vernon and I am very excited about that!


Nicholas' mother was Mary Gostwick (my 12th great-grandmother). Mary's father was Sir Edward Gostwick/Gostwicke. He was the 2nd Baronet Gostwick of Willington. He was also the Sheriff of Bedfordshire! I have always found Edward very interesting and is probably the tomb I'd like to see the most of all my ancestors (how morbid is that?!). I have read in several places that his body is laid in a glass or marble tomb in a church in England. I don't know how true that is but it would be interesting to find out for sure!!

the crest of Gostwick of Willington

(image courtesy of http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

I will post other family lines in the future but I thought this one was a good place to start :-D

-- A Victorian Cowgirl

6 comments:

  1. Do you mean the Henry VII / Catherine Howard Thomas Culpepper? That's so cool that he's an offshoot of your family tree. Too bad about the beheading though. Can't wait to read more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara Louise,

    Do you mean Henry VIII, and his 5th wife Katheryn Howard regarding her letters to Master Thomas Culpepper/Culpeper?? :-P
    The answer is no.

    I believe I was reffering to Thomas Culepeper, 2nd Baron Culepeper of Thoresway -- Colonial Governor of Virginia -- married to Dutch heiress, Margaret van Hesse August 3rd 1659 :-)

    Col. Nicholas Spencer (his cousin) was named Acting Governor until the arrival of the new governor Lord Howard of Effingham... He and Lt. Col. John Washington (ancestor of President George Washington) helped secure the patent for their joint land grant of Mount Vernon estate.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Spencer

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Colepeper,_2nd_Baron_Colepeper

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Washington

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mt Vernon is my favorite... you sneaky thing... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin,


    There is something special about walking where your ancestors walked isn't there?! :-D

    BTW, I learned today that Mama Mills newest daughter in law has a name connection with you! Her mothers maiden name is Gist! I had to smile at that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you visited us here at Willington, near Bedford? John Gostwick built a new Manor House, rebuilt and extended the Church of St. Lawrence, and built his farmstead here, the remains being a Dovecote and Stables now owned by the National Trust. The tomb you refer to is in the church. John Gostwick was Master of the Horse to Cardinal Wolsey, and Receiver General of the First Fruits and Tenths at the time of the Dissolution of the Monastries under Henry VII.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merv, our family has not yet had the opportunity to visit but we hope to one day. Thank you very much for the additional information!!

    Sallie (Victoria's mother)

    ReplyDelete