Monday, January 10, 2011

Monkey/Gorilla Bread with a twist

Okay, so Gorilla Bread is BASICALLY the same as Monkey Bread ... but with an extra ingredient. I made it extra special simply by adding 3 extra's. Those ingredients would be ... Raisins, Philadelphia Creme-cheese, and chopped/crushed Walnuts.

Now, for regular monkey bread you quarter the Pillsbury flake-y bisctuits, and toss them in the Bundt pan. But, with Gorilla Bread, you 1/2 them and roll a little cream-cheese in the slices... THEN toss them into the Bundt pan. Same for the special kind I made, but with * lots * more layers :D 

I know my mom has the recipe for Monkey Bread on her blog already, so I'm gonna "steal" it and post here for you guys... then use a little ** sign and help you along with the extra's. LOL... I know, I know... But today I'm being lazy :P


INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
6 cans biscuits
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

By the way, go ahead and preheat your oven to 375 BEFORE you get started with construction...

First, quarter all the biscuits and put to the side
next, get your butter, heavy whipping cream, and brown sugar melting together in a saucepan. 

** I just whip them all together in a bowl, and don't bother heating them in a sauce pan... they turn into a nice sauce well enough by just being put in the pan with all the trimmings and biscuits, and left to bake like everything else...

Then, mix your granulated white sugar and your cinnamon together and start tossing the biscuit quarters into the mix

** Here is where you will want to start with your layers. One layers of sugared biscuits (about 1/2 of what you're using) then toss the raisins and walnuts in, spreading evenly throughout the section. Add about 1/2 of your sauce, and repeat the layers with what you have left... 

Finally, layer the sugar and cinnamon coated biscuits with the sauce in your bundt pan... I like to do a few layers so that the oooey, gooey sauce gets into every little nook and cranny of the biscuits; [** see... ;) ] I dump whatever sugar-cinnamon mixture is left over on to the top of the pan -- waste not, want not ;-) 

Make SURE you let your monkey bread cool down really well before you dump it out of the bundt pan onto a plate!!! Our daughter (that'd be me :P) nearly scalded her legs several years ago because she was in a hurry to get it turned out and didn't wait for me to come help... It was the grace of God reminding me of every first aid lesson I'd ever learned regarding burns that kept her from getting even a single blister!


I hope you enjoy this recipe, and my oddly worded post ;)
Have anything you like to bake or make in particular? 

-- A Victorian Cowgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment