Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Georgian Gown for the Ball..

Since I am still waiting on boning to finish off my corset, and reading far too many books, I have decided to go ahead and start on a new gown for the Ball. It's next month, and Georgian/Regency costumes are encouraged :D Since I already know what my inspiration is, and have a photo ready to share with you here, I shall... 


Isn't it B-E-A-utiful?!? The floral that you see is actually Brocaded silk, and the gown really is from the 18th Century. I think it the perfect mix of Georgian and Regency and just right for a young woman who would've been around just as the fashions were changing. Even as you sit and watch Pride and Prejudice (2005, sorry dears) you will realize that Mrs. Bennet (and other such women of her caliber or more, for example Lady Catherine deBourgh) were still wearing the Georgian gowns they grew up with; while Jane, Elizabeth, and Georgianna where wearing modest and comely gowns in the new style - which suited their personalities just fine and seemed so sweet amongst their characters. And, even still the younger girls (such as was found in the characters of Kitty and Lydia) were extravagant with their "it's all the rage in London" 's. 

Since I am noticing the lack of hoops in the photo above, I am relieved of another fear... I have neither the time nor the funds sufficient enough to include a set of hoops into my grand ordeal of a costume. * whew *

It sounds so lovely, I can only hope it works! Pray for me friends, and hope I don't mess up my stitching! At least I have some assurance of hope in the fact that I can use a new machine that works and not have to go at it by hand, which  would be sure to be a disaster in the making... Oy vey! 

-- A Victorian Cowgirl

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I can't wait to see your dress when it's finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you so much Sara Louise! I tried... honestly I did. I think in the end, it turned out to be a simpler pattern though. (I made it too big on accident and had to fix it by cutting down the front, taking it in, and making a stomacher. LOL)

    I promise to get a blog-post up soon! I have two or three saved in drafts that I haven't had time enough to finish. Agh!

    ReplyDelete